Have you experienced the helpless feeling when your child is crying or throwing a tantrum and you wished you had known what it was they wanted?
Have you tried teaching your child (and yourself) sign language??
Studies have shown that teaching hearing babies sign language has many benefits, including:
- Increased vocabulary and communication skills
- Builds confidence in both babies and parents
- Decreased outbreaks, tantrums, and aggressive behavior due to frustration
- Increased IQ
- Fine motor skill development
- Builds trust in parents and caregivers
- Positive emotional development
I love being able to sign with my daughter! Not only do we have fun bonding and learning together, but it has come in very handy! (Pun semi-intended)
Our first introduction to signing was with the Baby Signing Time DVDs when she was about 6 months old, and at 9 months she first signed "milk". We started with the basic needs - milk, eat, more, and all done - then worked our way up.
|Photo by Stills by Hill|
Recently we were invited to sit-in on a Sign 4 Baby 6 week session, with Joann Woolley (pictured left, signing "duck").
The six weeks consisted of 6 different categories of signs; a